The second part of my in-depth look at how I made my Crow Soldier costume. Although, it may actually be a Raven Soldier costume, depending on translation... As I refer to the main villains as the Monster Raven, and Prince of Ravens respectively, but for some reason I call these guys crows? Except when they are in bird form, in which I call them ravens...? I dunno... XD
So, without further ado, let's journey back approximately 3 months to when I started this project. :D
My workstation I set up for cutting foam. It was only like 15 degrees (celcius) and the grounds was kind of wet, but it was nice to work out in the sun. XD I cut out 4 pieces that were the same shape (approximately). 11" x 7" rectangles I believe.
It smelt kind of terrible... The label recommended to clamp the pieces together. But I didn't have a clamp. So I used the cheap and trendy alternative of gravity and books.
I drew on a guideline and hacked away until it resembled what I wanted. Then I sandpapered that too.
So here's a 360 of the beak before I ruined it.... Yes. It was all too good to last...
I filled in all the gaps with wood filler. And then made the stupidest mistake ever. I used a product on my beak, which I had worked on for 2 months, without fully testing it. And if that weren't bad enough, I used it just a week before Anime North. WHY?! DX Lesson learned. I am an idiot.
Let me tell you: Foam Coat is a horrible product. Never use it. It said on the label that it goes on rough, but is sand-able. SANDABLE MY BUTT!!!! D:< It looked like someone had stuccoed my work!
I knew there was no way it could be fixed by adding a layer of something else on top.Because I had spent so much time sanding it to that perfect shape and the layer of foam coat was so thick I would have had to add so much that it would have changed the shape of the beak entirely. So I set about sanding it all off and using something else to give it a protective coating. (Btw it's the wednesday before the con. I'm freaking out.)
After a mild fit of hysteria--please remember that at this time I have not finished my outfit that goes with the mask, and that I needed time for whatever I used next to dry before I spray painted it--I made an emergency trip to Home Depot to pick up the only product I could think of that would fill in the gaps: wood filler. It's spray-paintable, inexpensive, easy to apply and sands to be extremely smooth. Not the best protective coating, but I will be using it to coat foam from now on.
I applied my wood filler with a palate knife.
The last coat of paint drying. It is now about 11:00 saturday morning. I wanted to do some dry-brushing of a different colour (probably grey) to make it look less flat, but ran out of time.
Next part: Crow Soldier - Cape & Cowl