Saturday, June 16, 2012
(Side note: I am totally running out of finished pictures of this costume, hence the recycled images. :P)
The main concern here was getting it to fit as tight as possible, so that the profile could be as slim as possible, while still keeping in mind that I had to have room for all the circuitry and batteries to fit in behind the front panel. I guesstimated some arm holes.
I ended up with these two pieces which would make up the body.
Once I was happy with my mock-up, I set about replicating it in hardboard. I had to keep in mind the difference in material thickness and alter some of my measurements with that in mind.
Then I traced my arm and neck holes onto the pieces, and cut them out with a jigsaw.
Once those pieces were prepped, I cut the supports that would go in the corners and would act as a frame to hold it together.
The problem with using hardboard is that although the super-thin-ness is an asset, it also means that there is essentially no material to nail into. In order to make it work you have to add blocks into the corner to support the structure so it doesn't fall apart.
Now I needed some help from a friend with more shop expertise, the rest of the build was a two man job. :P Special thanks to Ian for making this happen! :D
Those blocks were first applied with wood glue and then brad nailed into place. The brad nails helped to suck the two pieces of wood together and the glue help to make the bond even stronger.
I repeated this process on all 4 corners.
Fits like a glove! Which it should if you made a mock-up first! Hahaha
The top panels were added in a similar fashion. Same with the insert for the control panel. You can see below the inside with all the supports in the corners.
Now the base of my body was done.
Then I prepped the control panel to move into its new home. More on that piece in a later post.
Once the base grey was done, the masking was put on and the details were added in and acrylic paint.
The final touch was the nuts that were added as detailing, and the control panel.
The extra final touch that you can't see, but made all the difference in the world to me was the foam layer that I put on the inside above the shoulders so I didn't die. XD
Friday, June 15, 2012
Now let's talk about the pants. This is only my second time making pants so there was a lot of guess work to be done here. I wanted to make pants with a seam up the front of the legs, but not in a million pieces, so to do that I had to make one piece a 1/4 of the width and one piece 3/4. Even then they still didn't line up quite right... >:/
I cut out the pieces and sewed up the front seam, then the side seams. Then I put one leg inside the other and sewed them together.
I sprayed some extra hex nuts grey and had a friend hand stitch them on up the front seams of each leg. The added detail helped bring the whole costume together. ;D