The first in-depth look at my Nickel costume: how to make moveable robot claws!
I started by drawing out my design full size, keeping in mind material thicknesses so that my hand would fit inside.
The most important thing here is patience. They had to be held until they were completely dry, or they broke the glue. I decided to have some people help me out here, so I didn't die of boredom. :P
Sanded them off, and just touched up some areas.
I gesso-ed them in preparation for spray painting. (The LAST thing I needed was to have them melt!) Unfortunately, I used a paint on gesso on the hub pieces, which not being glued to anything warped really badly, as a result I had to remake the hubs. >: /
My friend Sarené, who aided me with some of the assembly suggested I add a thumb-strap for easier movement.
Then I added the illustration board to the outside layer of the hub to finish off the piece. Once that was spackled and sanded it got the full spray treatment. :D
Unfortunately we had some paint chipping with the tape, but we were able to do some touch-ups.
Finished! And they look fabulous! >:D