Thursday, January 12, 2012

Nikon Applique Sweater

Here's a quick look at how I did the applique on this sweater.

I actually made this on boxing day. Yes, it is completely acceptable to make Christmas presents after Christmas... yes. I mostly just ran out of time between work and other projects. 

This is an homage to Nikon for my photographer friend: Mike. :) He has done quite a few photoshoots of our costumes, so, many thanks! I couldn't possibly afford camera equipment as a present, so I made the next best thing! XD

It's not extremely difficult to do applique, but it requires a certain amount of patience to do well, and cannot be rushed. It also requires a lot of thread. So be prepared for that. The last thing you need in the middle of a applique is to run out of thread. Hahaha

I started by printing the letters I wanted at the size I wanted them. I carefully cut them out. And then cut them out of my fabric.

I picked a yellow fabric and thread that matched well. And I bought this black sweater from Bluenotes. I through the sweater in the washer and dryer to shrink it up a bit. it is important to do this before you start the applique otherwise the letters may look weird after you wash it.

I marked the height I wanted them at and the center of the garment. 

I placed the letters and then traced them with a white pencil crayon.  I pinned the N into position and set my machine to a really tight zig-zag stitch.

By following the outline of the letters, you can get a clean crisp edge. The important thing is to go slowly and to not stretch the fabric underneath, otherwise the letters go wonky. I messed up a bit on the I, but it looked alright, so I continued.

And there you have it. This process is neither quick nor easy, but it looks fantastic! :D


Comments, feedback, & questions are always appreciated! :D

1 comment:

  1. Its so comfy to wear and looks bad-ass! Many thanks >:D

    ReplyDelete